Wednesday 26 March 2014

March Madness - Non-D&D OSR Blog Challenge (Part 2 of 3)

Continuing the March Madness!

11 What post-apocalyptic RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?
This is a tough one.  I'm a fan of Gamma World but whilst I think it's fun it wasn't my favourite to read.  I think ultimately I'd probably choose The End by Tyranny Games.  Quite the controversial little RPG this one with it's post-Biblical apocalypse setting but I found it very interesting to read.  I stress the word read as I've never ran it...

12 What humorous RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.
2 strike a chord.  Most obvious one being Toon from Steve Jackson Games (which I still own a copy of) and the other being Teenagers From Outer Space which was published by R. Talsorian Games.  I think (and +myles loughran might disown me for admitting this) between the 2 games I'd probably err on the side of TFOS as the one I had most fun playing.

13 What horror RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?
None.  Ok so that's maybe a bit harsh but horror and me don't really gel well when it comes to films, comics or indeed games.  The only real exception to that is Unknown Armies but that was more down to the mechanics of the game giving me the right tools to run an X-Files-esque game.  That's more Supernatural Mystery than Horror thought.

14 What historical or cultural RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.
Skip - Nothing of note to really add here.

15 What pseudo or alternate history RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?
Skip - Nothing of note to really add here.

16 Which RPG besides D&D has the best magic system? Give details.
I honestly don't know.  D&D's rules for magic have always been a bit clunky irrespective of which version you go with.  I've played a lot of games and none of them really seem to get this spot on.  Whether it be resource based (ala Force Points in Star Wars d20) or static selection based (Vancian style magic in most iterations of D&D) there doesn't feel like something that truly reflects magic as such.  So again probably have to skip giving an actual answer.

17 Which RPG has the best high tech rules? Why?
High tech?  As in flashy shiny tech or super duper advanced tech?  If that former than I don't think I've played anything that has that.  Super duper advanced tech would probably be something like Traveller, Battletech or perhaps Shatterzone.  They each have an abundance of tech available in game and have thematic reasons for it's existence and availability (particularly Battletech).

18 What is the crunchiest RPG you have played? Was it enjoyable?
Crunchiest?  As in serious rules with math?  Ok I'd probably say something like Rifts albeit as a system I wasn't a fan of anything that Palladium did (see previous post).  The mechanics in the game are all over the place and yet despite that it does still kinda work.

19 What is the fluffiest RPG you have played? Was it enjoyable?
Fluffiest?  Hmmm... Never played any of the World of Darkness games and thematically I always preferred to create my own fluff.  I don't think I recognise the fluffiest RPG in my gaming history because I've played very few fluff-heavy RPGs.  Unless Dragonlance in D&D counts that is.

20 Which setting have you enjoyed most? Why?
Setting - Dragonlance.  Felt like the most epic of storylines at the time we played it and I liked the changes from "default" fantasy particularly the use of Draconians.
I'm also a big fan of the setting for Matt Forbeck's superhero RPG - Brave New World.  I've never played it though as referenced here...

No comments:

Post a Comment