Wednesday 2 October 2013

A GenCon Schedule Part 1

So what do you do for 4 days at a gaming convention?  I actually don’t know seeing as I’ve not really gamed my way through a 4 day gaming convention.
Wait a minute Dave, I thought you’d been to 3 of the UK iterations of Gen Con?
Ah yes!  That’s a very different story though…. Perhaps for another post.

Looking back at the event list for Gen Con 2013 as a guide you kind of have to go into this with a plan of how much of each day you want to fill with booked slots and how much “free time” you want to wander the halls and just try something out on a whim.
Taking it 1 day at a time…

Thursday
Game
Format
Time / Slot
Price
Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire – Shadows Of A Black Sun
RPG
10am to 1pm
$4
Gaming with Kids: The Next Generation (with Matt Forbeck)
Seminar
2pm to 3pm
FREE
D&D Next : Murder in Baldur's Gate Launch Weekend
RPG
4pm to 8pm
$8
Zero Charisma
Film
8pm to 9:30pm
FREE

There should be no surprise that Star Wars EotE is in this list!
The Gaming with Kids seminar intrigues me for a variety of reasons, not least of which is my plan to introduce my daughter to the hobby more and more over the years.
D&D Next is still in playtest but what better way to get your head around the new ruleset and indeed help shape it than by playing it at GenCon?
Zero Charisma is a “gamer movie” that I’ve been following for a while now and I would have loved to have seen it on the “big screen” at Gen Con.

So Thursday looks like a REALLY busy day but a large part of the challenge is getting the slots to align and of course you know eat, buying stuff and spend time playing demos and moving between events!
If I had to drop anything I’d drop the Gaming With Kids or the D&D Next.  There were other sessions of D&D Next on the schedule which I could have juggled to suit.

Friday
Game
Format
Time / Slot
Price
Star Wars: EotE – Matter Of Life & Death
RPG
10am to 2pm
$4
Battletech : Boot Camp!
Wargame
3pm to 4pm
$2
Firefly: Find a Crew - Find a Job - Keep Flying
Board Game
5pm to 7pm
$2
Atomic Robo - Flying She-Devils of the Pacific
RPG
8pm to midnight
$4

More EotE?! Obviously!
Battletech Boot Camp!  I’d have been up for trying this if only because I own the 25th Anniversary Starter Set and really should play it more!
Firefly – Not a FAN BOY for Firefly but I did enjoyed the show a fair bit and intrigued about how it would translate into a Board Game.
Atomic Robo.  Again this should be obvious to readers of the blog as to why I would want to play this.

Again Friday looks REALLY busy so something might have to drop.  If anything it’d be either the Battletech or the Firefly.

So that’s 2 days out of the 4.  What about the weekend?  That’ll be the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment