Friday 2 July 2021

Call of Cthulhu - RPG Writer Workshop Summer 2021

 After doing the RPG Writer Workshop in November 2020 and producing Unsettled Ground on DMsGuild, I came into 2021 with grand plans to produce more.

Those plans haven't turned into outputs and it's in part down to the usual "spinning too many plates" but it's probably as much due to a lack of focus on creating those outputs.

I've got 2 other DMsGuild scenarios and 1 Cthulhu-esque scenario drafted but not in the sense that they're ready for proof reading & editing. Significantly rougher than that.

So, to help tackle this and hopefully assert some structure I've signed up for the RPG Writer Workshop for Summer (July) 2021.


This time though I'm writing something for Call of Cthulhu.

Why?

Those who know me may be quick to point out a few things.
  • Erm Dave, have you ever played a game of Call of Cthulhu? - Answer: No.
  • Ok, but you've ran a game of Call of Cthulhu before? - Answer: No.
  • But you do own the RPG and have read it, right? - Answer: Prior to the 26th June 2021, No.
So why am I doing it with Call of Cthulhu?

I had / have plans to publish a series of GUMSHOE powered adventures but due to licensing have to use either Fear Itself or Esoterrorists for it.  Now in all honesty that probably isn't that much of a negative but the adventures definitely have more of a Cthulhu-esque leaning than anything else.  I own Trail of Cthulhu and enjoyed running it but I'm not beholden to it as a system.

So, by doing this using Call of Cthulhu I hope it gives me the skills and techniques for writing that "type" of adventure and then I can either pivot back to GUMSHOE or stick with CoC for what I have planned.

CoC isn't a mechanically complex game, in fact it's quite the opposite. I've just never been a fan (as a GM) of percentile systems.  Maybe this experience will change that? Who knows.

So yeah, I'm writing a Call of Cthulhu adventure during July. I have several ideas of what it could be without using the draft one I mentioned above.

If you're thinking about writing for the Call of Cthulhu Miskatonic Repository then I highly recommend reading the following websites -

All you need to do is write it.

Which is what I intend to do by July 31st!

No comments:

Post a Comment