Sunday 16 March 2014

A Late Entry - D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge (Part 1)

So I totally missed this (and the follow up which will be subsequent posts!).

The D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge was (from what I can see) set up by Stelios V. Perdious who is the author of the d20 Dark Ages blog.

The intent of this challenge was to do a post a day (been there done that!) covering a series of questions.  I am not able to commit to that frequency at present so I'm going to tackle these over 2 posts which is a bit of a cheat...

Day 1: First person who introduced you to D&D? Which edition? Your first Character?
This would be my brother Allan.  He was the one that got the D&D Basic Set - Red Box.  I can't remember precisely why or how he got it (might have been a birthday present?) but he had it and I begged to get to play with him and his mates.  I think I played a Dwarf but not sure.  I tend to play Dwarves when playing D&D.

Day 2: First person YOU introduced to D&D? Which edition? THEIR first character?
This one is actually much harder than it should be...  It would have been the D&D Basic Set (Red Box) but player and character wise I actually can't remember.  If I was to take a guess it'd probably be my school friend (and still friend albeit he doesn't game any more) Gordon Robertson and he probably played a Fighter.

Day 3: First dungeon you explored as a PC or ran as a DM.
As a PC I think it would have been a homebrewed one that Allan came up with, likely a tweaked version of the one that was in the Basic Set.
DM wise I probably stole Allan's dungeon and re-worked it myself.

Day 4: First dragon you slew (or some other powerful monster). 
This is beginning to sound like a broken record but I don't remember specifics.  I just remember it being awesome!

Day 5: First character to go from 1st level to 20th level (or highest possible level in a given edition).
Never ever done that. Not sure why other than I have mostly been the DM than the Player.  Similarly never had a player get that far either largely down to longevity of campaign issues.

Day 6: First character death. How did you handle it?
That Dwarf died heroically as all good Dwarves do and at that stage I handled it perfectly fine as the character himself didn't really it didn't matter as I wasn't invested in him.
I've had players who have handled character death badly but that's likely a different post entirely.

Day 7: First D&D Product you ever bought. Do you still have it?
First one I ever bought would have been the D&D Expert Set (the Blue Box).  I no longer have it.
I was going to say the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook but I think that came shortly after.

Day 8: First set of polyhedral dice you owned. Do you still use them?
I "inherited" the poly set that came with the D&D Basic Set that Allan had (and the set itself when he stopped playing).  I still have the d20, d12 and d4 and do still use them.  The others were casualties of a dice bag being too close to a candle which caused them to melt...

Day 9: First campaign setting (homebrew or published) you played in.
Campaign Setting... Hmmm never so bold a definition I suspect.  It would have been some Tolkienised D&D based on whatever Allan was thinking up at the time.  Nothing specific that it had a name I think.

Day 10: First gaming magazine you ever bought (Dragon, Dungeon, White Dwarf, etc.).
That'd be White Dwarf.  Can't remember the precise issue number but it would have been around the 30 mark.

Day 11: First splatbook you begged your DM to approve. 
Again I was mostly the DM and I tended to be the one buying the "splatbooks" for incorporating into games.

Day 12: First store where you bought your gaming supplies. Does it still exist?
First store I bought something from was Games Workshop in York on a family holiday. It still exists (sort of) in that Travelling Man in York is essentially that same shop and Games Workshop still have a shop in York.
First store I classed as my FLGS would have been a gift shop in Falkirk called The Gilded Cage which stocked RPGs.

Day 13: First miniature(s) you used for D&D.
Erm I didn't use miniatures for D&D until 4th Edition and even then I didn't really use them for that!

Day 14: Did you meet your significant other while playing D&D? Does he or she still play? (Or just post a randomly generated monster in protest of Valentine's Day).
Seeing as this was supposed to be on Valentine's Day....
I didn't meet my wife through D&D or indeed any form of gaming whatsoever.  It's a hobby she's never been interested in but at the same time never "got in the way of" either.

Ok so that's the first 14 done...  Short but hopefully sweet replies, let's see how 15-28 go in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment