Monday 31 March 2014

March Madness - Non-D&D OSR Blog Challenge (Part 3 of 3)

Definitely cheating this time as I'm writing this before the end of March, at least I'm posting it on the 31st though!

21 What is the narrowest genre RPG you have ever played? How was it?
I don't think I've ever played an RPG that was so narrow in genre...  Cold City maybe but that's only narrow from a certain point of view as it actually has a lot of potential gameplay.

22 What is the most gonzo kitchen sink RPG you ever played? How was it?
Rifts.  Thematically it was awesome in that teenage boy sense of awesome at least.  There are still elements of Rifts that make me think "That's cool!" but there are so many other things about Rifts and Palladium games in general that just don't work for me...

23 What is the most broken game that you tried and were unable to play?
Most broken game...  The one that stands out for me is Cursed Empire.  The reason it stands out is that we never got beyond character creation as we just found it too elaborate mechanically for no good reason.  Also any game that decides to create a new "half dwarf / half elf" race for reasons that are dubbed as "force mutated" just isn't my cup of tea...

24 What is the most broken game that you tried and loved to play, warts and all?
Skip as I can't think of one!

25 Which game has the sleekest, most modern engine?
Star Wars Edge Of The Empire.  It just works!  I'd also like to give D&D Next a nod too as I've been happy with most of the stuff that I've seen through the playtest.

26 What IP (Intellectual Property, be it book, movie or comic) that doesn’t have an RPG deserves it? Why?
Atomic Robo! Well ok that will have one and Fred tells me it'll be in June and I trust Fred!
Other than Atomic Robo?  I'd love to see some form of Culture RPG based on the works of the late (and definitely great) Iain M Banks.

27 What RPG based on an IP did you enjoy most? Give details.
Star Wars! Ok ignoring Star Wars for a minute... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Palladium.  I played it despite the system being crap.  I wouldn't say it fits to 24 as it wasn't a broken system, just very very clunky!

28 What free RPG did you enjoy most? Give details.
Does D&D Next count?  If so then D&D Next it is simply because it's fuelled my desire to run a D&D campaign.
If D&D Next doesn't count.... then I'd probably have to opt for RISUS by S. John Ross simply because it's easy to use and a lot of fun.

29 What OSR product have you enjoyed most? Explain how.
Haven't played any of the "retro-clones" that have been spawned as part of the OSR.  If I want to play D&D then I'll play D&D!

30 Which non-D&D supplemental product should everyone know about? Give details.
2 choices here.
1) Star Wars Edge Of The Empire GM Kit - Purely for the best GM Screen I've ever seen in my ~30 years of gaming.  It's proper card stock of the type that you'd want the board from a quality board game to be made of.
2) Not specific to any RPG whatsoever but I'd recommend every GM buys everything published by Engine Publishing.  Their books are fantastic guides and resources to tap into.

31 What out-of-print RPG would you most like to see back in publication? Why?
Nope can't think of anything...  Well except for Toon maybe.  I'd like to see Steve Jackson Games relaunch it or let someone else relaunch it as it's a fun game that more people should experience!

And that's that!  Phew.  Now to return this blog to it's previously thought out content.

No comments:

Post a Comment